ESSENTIAL SUPERFOODS FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
If you are of senior citizen age, chances are that your body will require additional nutrients than when you were younger, due to different metabolic needs. The good news is, there are nutrient essential foods that can help you feel better while fighting diseases at the same time!
These superfoods are easy to incorporate into daily meals and snacks:
1. Apples. They’re easy to find in any grocery store, and they’re one of the top superfoods for senior citizens.
Apples have fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. They’re also a good source of potassium and can help you feel full longer. In addition, apples can help prevent heart disease and several types of cancers.
If you’re getting ready to eat an apple, avoid peeling off the skin. The skin of an apple has high levels of antioxidants.
2. Butternut squash. This squash is a superfood because of its high level of beta carotene.
Beta carotene is essential for healthy eyes and helps prevent heart disease. Senior citizens can also benefit from eating butternut squash because it has fiber and vitamin C.
3. Fava beans. These beans are superfoods for senior citizens because of fiber and vitamins.
Fava beans are linked to better memory and higher energy levels. They contain large amounts of L-dopa, which is also known as L-dopamine, and this amino acid may reduce the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
4. Quinoa. This grain has essential amino acids along with other vitamins. It’s a superfood because of the high amount of nutrients it provides.
Quinoa is a good source of protein for senior citizens. In addition, it can help people with diabetes by lowering blood sugar levels and reducing blood pressure. The grain can also help you feel full for a longer period of time, so you’re less likely to eat junk food.
A study, titled “Evaluation of indigenous grains from the Peruvian Andean region for anti-diabetes and anti-hypertension potential using in vitro methods,” found that quinoa can help fight diabetes and hypertension. The grain has an antioxidant called quercetin that is involved in the process of fighting these diseases.
5. Kale. (Seen at the top of this page). This common vegetable is a superfood because of its high vitamin K levels and other nutrients.
Kale has a high level of antioxidants that are important for senior citizens. These antioxidants fight cellular damage and keep cells healthy. They can also prevent diseases such as prostate cancer and breast cancer.
Kale also has calcium and fiber, and these nutrients are essential for healthy bodies.
6. Broccoli. This superfood has fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. It’s considered to be a nutrient-dense food that provides many benefits.
A study, titled “Broccoli sprouts: An exceptionally rich source of inducers of enzymes that protect against chemical carcinogens,” found that this vegetable can help prevent and fight tumors.
Researchers recommend that you add spices, mustard, horseradish or other items to your broccoli to increase its cancer-fighting properties.
Superfoods can help prevent disease and provide important nutrients. Take advantage of these foods to help you stay healthy and energetic well into your later years!!